Dustin Poirier responds to Conor McGregor accepting UFC’s rematch ultimatum

Dustin Poirier has respond to the news of Conor McGregor accepting the UFC’s ultimatum for their rematch. The former featherweights, 31 and 32 respectively, agreed to take part in a charity fight late last month.

Eager to get in on the act, the UFC brass immediately offered the pair the chance to rematch one another inside the confines of the Octagon.

Both men accepted the proposal, although McGregor initially demanded the fight take place before 2020.

The UFC brass, however, refused to play ball and issued an ultimatum to their poster boy, insisting he take or leave their January 23 offer.

McGregor agreed to the promotion’s terms on Wednesday night, although their was a caveat to his acceptance of the fight.

JUST IN: Conor McGregor accepts January fight against Dustin Poirier

Close to home for me on my birthday weekend! What weight?

Dustin Poirier’s reaction to Conor McGregor accepting the UFC’s rematch ultimatum

He tweeted: “I accept, Jan 23rd is on! My goal is to see this fight take place in Cowboy Stadium. Proper Style!

“Jerry Jones is a friend and the stadium can hold our crowd.

“I will be ready for Texas and Texas will be ready for my fans! Then Manny [Pacquiao].”

Elated by the news, fan favourite Poirier was quick to respond to ‘The Notorious’, whom he asked a question on the lips of many MMA fans.

DON’T MISS

Dustin Poirier responds to Conor McGregor publicly accepting rematch

Khabib Nurmagomedov addresses retirement rumours ahead of UFC 254

Conor McGregor accepts Dustin Poirier rematch, eyes late 2020 return

“Close to home for me on my birthday weekend!” Louisiana’s Poirier tweeted. “What weight?”

Should the UFC finalise McGregor vs Poirier II for January, the contest will be a rematch of the pair’s UFC 178 showdown – which took place in Las Vegas six years ago.

It was a short night at the office – the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas – for McGregor, who solidified his status as a legitimate featherweight contender by TKO’ing Poirier in less than two minutes.

That defeat has eaten away at Poirier, who believes now is the perfect time for both men to run it back.

“Look at it from his side, for sure there’s some upside there. Khabib said if him or Tony beat me that he would give them a shot at the title, so if that holds any weight, he’s looking at that,” Poirier said during an appearance on the UFC Unfiltered podcast.

“I don’t know what his ambition is, I don’t know how hungry he is to be the UFC lightweight world champion.

“If it is, a fight with me makes a lot of sense to get the next title shot.”

McGregor, the UFC’s first simultaneous two-weight world champion, hasn’t fought since his 40-second demolition of Donald Cerrone in January.

Poirier, meanwhile, hasn’t competed since his gruelling five-round war with Dan Hooker in June.

McGregor, 22-4, was hoping to compete a further two times this year but had those hopes scuppered by the coronavirus outbreak and less than fruitful talks with the UFC.

Late last month, it appeared the Dubliner wouldn’t be fighting anytime soon as he was engaged in a public spat with UFC president Dana White.

The imminent booking of a rematch with Poirier, however, would suggest the pair are now back on good terms.

Source: Read Full Article