UFC 249 on course to take place on ‘West Coast’ of USA as Dana White hones in on venue
UFC 249 is set to take place on the West Coast of America, it has been claimed. The promotion’s fourth pay-per-view card of the year, which was due to be headlined by Khabib Nurmagomedov’s lightweight title fight against Tony Ferguson, was originally slated to take place at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York a week on Saturday.
The coronavirus outbreak and the subsequent banning of mass gatherings in the state, however, laid waste to those plans and left the promotion in desperate need of a new venue.
UFC president Dana White has worked tirelessly to find a new venue for the card, which many have called to be cancelled.
According to ESPN, the promotion – who have been widely criticised for putting on a show in the midst of a global pandemic – are closing in on a new home for the event.
And it’s claimed the card will likely take place on the West Coast of the USA.
JUST IN: Conor McGregor coach confirms Notorious will fight in July
UFC 249 is reportedly on course to land on the West Coast of America
An excerpt of a report from ESPN’s Ariel Helwani read: “According to multiple sources, the promotion believes it is very close to securing a new venue for UFC 249.
“It’s unclear at this time where the location will be, however, sources said it’s looking like it will take place on the West Coast of the United States.
“The UFC has made a point to not share the specific location with many people outside the company at this time, sources said.”
ESPN also claim the UFC brass looked at hosting the card on Native American tribal land, which doesn’t have to follow the rules and regulations set by state’s athletic commissions.
Dana White issues Khabib Nurmagomedov statement amid UFC 249 drama
Khabib alludes to UFC 249 U-turn with blunt message to Dana White
Conor McGregor breaks silence on Khabib’s withdrawal from UFC 249
UFC 249’s original main event is seemingly dead in the water as Nurmagomedov is trapped in Russia after President Putin implemented a travel ban to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Nurmagomedov appeared to pull out from his long-awaited clash with Ferguson last week on Instagram, though he later suggested he’d still be able to participate on the card if the UFC informs him of its new location.
“Right now, if they give me location and I can come out from Russia and I can go to any country,” he said. “US, Abu Dhabi, doesn’t matter. I’m going to fight, 100 per cent. Just give me location.
“Every day, I send Dana White a message. ‘Hey, where’s my location.’ This is not my mistake.
“Too many crazy stuff, too many questions and I don’t have answer.
“I understand people are upset because this fight, this is like a dream fight for fans. This is my dream fight.
“I lose money, I lose so much money. Nobody lose like I lose. Nobody. I lose so much things. I want to fight.”
White, however, ruled out the prospect of Nurmagomedov facing ‘El Cucuy’ early on Monday morning, tweeting: “The card is happening but @TeamKhabib is out. I will announce the entire card tomorrow.”
Source: Read Full Article