Warren slams claims Team Fury are to blame for collapse of AJ fight

Frank Warren hits back at Eddie Hearn’s claims that Team Fury are at fault for the collapse of Anthony Joshua mega-fight as Gypsy King’s promoter insists Oleksandr Usyk would have SUED had heavyweight showdown in Saudi Arabia gone ahead

  • Frank Warren hit back at claims Team Fury are to blame for collapse of AJ fight 
  • The Gypsy King’s mega-fight with Anthony Joshua fell through this month 
  • An arbitrator has ruled that Fury must take on Deontay Wilder instead
  • Warren has slammed promoter Eddie Hearn’s recent comments over culpability 
  • He added that Oleksandr Usyk was preparing to sue had the fight gone ahead 

Frank Warren has hit back at Eddie Hearn after claiming Tyson Fury’s team are to blame for the collapse of the mega-bout with Anthony Joshua, insisting that AJ’s mandatory fight with Oleksandr Usyk would have been a sticking point to the fight.

A summer showdown in Saudi Arabia between the two heavyweight rivals fell apart this month as a result of an arbitrator ruling that Fury must fulfil a contractual obligation to fight Deontay Wilder a third time.

Fury and Wilder will meet again on July 24, and Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, has since claimed that the fight was wrecked by Fury’s team’s poor handling of talks between the two camps.

Frank Warren has hit back at claims that Team Fury are to blame for the collapse of the AJ fight


 Tyson Fury’s mega-fight with Anthony Joshua fell through this month over an arbitration

However, Warren, Fury’s UK promoter, has slammed Hearn for providing constant updates on negotiations surrounding the mega-fight.

‘At the start of the year, all parties involved in the fight – fighters, promoters, managers – signed a contract as to how the negotiations would take place,’ Warren told Seconds Out.

‘In that agreement there was a clause that made it very clear there was an arbitration situation going on as far as Tyson is concerned – so everyone was aware of it and that we were awaiting the outcome of that.

Fury must now take on former WBC champion Deontay Wilder for a third time, this summer

AJ’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, has claimed that Fury’s team are responsible for it falling through

‘There was another clause in there regarding confidentiality and that we would make announcements together, so that we would all be on the same page.

‘Within a very short space of time, Eddie Hearn breached that agreement by making announcements – every week there was something, announcements about announcements, the fight is done and so forth. 

‘That was totally untrue. The fight wasn’t done, it wasn’t signed and every time I did an interview I just said the truth, and all these announcements, that were being made on a regular basis by Hearn.

‘I don’t think helped and caused a lot of confusion.’

Warren added that the super-fight would have also encountered problems as a result of AJ’s WBO mandatory challenger, Usyk. 

However, Frank Warren (2L) has slammed Hearn for his constant updates on negotiations

Warren also claimed that WBO challenger Oleksandr Usyk was preparing to sue had the AJ-Fury fight gone ahead this summer

Joshua has been ordered to take on his Ukrainian challenger by the WBO, who has waited patiently since late last year for his shot at the champion. Warren claims that Usyk was preparing a legal challenge in the event that AJ – Fury went ahead. 

‘Usyk had written to the WBO, and subsequently all parties concerned, saying that they will be suing if the fight goes ahead,’ he added.

‘So even if we had won the arbitration we would still be sued by Usyk, there would have been an action and they would have been looking for injunctions to stop it.

‘So that wasn’t dealt with or brought to anybody’s attention. Pot, kettle and all that from Hearn.

‘One minute he is telling everybody I’m not involved at all in the negotiations – and now it is my fault.’




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article