WBO await Billy Joe Saunders investigation following controversial domestic violence video
Billy Joe Saunders’ future as WBO super-middleweight champion could be under threat as president of the sanctioning body Pack Valcarcel tweeted that they are following the investigation into the video he released about hitting women ‘carefully’.
The British Boxing Board of Control suspended Saunders’ boxing licence after outcry about the video, which surfaced on WhatsApp at the end of last week.
In the clip, Saunders is jokingly giving advice about how to hit women during self-isolation for the coronavirus.
Saunders is demonstrating techniques on how to punch in the video, with a heavy bag in front of him.
JUST IN: Anthony Joshua was ‘happy’ Tyson Fury beat Wilder for one reason
The two-weight world champion apologised for his actions and pledged a part of his next fight purse to a charity for domestic violence.
But the WBO, who Saunders has been champion with at middleweight and super-middleweight, will likely review his position as champion.
“Billy Joe Saunders’ recent actions are unacceptable,” Valcarcel tweeted.
Boxing news: Anthony Joshua prediction, Tyson Fury ‘greatest’ claim
Tyson Fury labelled ‘the greatest heavyweight’ after Wilder demoltion
Anthony Joshua won’t land on elusive Tyson Fury in Battle of Britain
- Boxing news: Anthony Joshua prediction, Tyson Fury ‘greatest’ claim
“With his conduct, he failed his family, his friends, and his fans.
“The @WorldBoxingOrg will follow the British Boxing Board of Control’s investigation carefully before taking any further action.”
Saunders was supposed to fight Canelo Alvarez on May 2 in Las Vegas, but the fight has been put back because of the coronavirus.
Alvarez, however, is keen on fighting Gennady Golovkin too, with rumours that fight could happen in September.
- Billy Joe Saunders issues apology after boxing suspension
Saunders’ promoter Eddie Hearn says that if the Alvarez fight comes too late, the Mexican may skip him and heading straight for the Golovkin fight.
“With Billy, we’ve got to get over his viral video, which has upset a lot of people,” Hearn told iFL TV.
“Regarding Canelo, that all depends on when boxing is back.
“I think Canelo and GGG would like to have another fight before they fight each other.
“That was their [Canelo and Golovkin] original plan, but it depends on how far back in the year when boxing begins.
If it’s July, I think Billy Joe will get that fight.
“If it starts going to September, October or November, if Canelo only chooses to box once this year, maybe he chooses to have the biggest fight he can.”
Source: Read Full Article