Wilder to wear another costume for Fury fight despite blaming last one for loss
Deontay Wilder has promised to wear another extravagant ring walk outfit for his Tyson Fury trilogy, despite claiming that his last one cost him his world title.
Wilder was stopped within seven rounds in his rematch with Fury in February of last year, and immediately after the bout infamously told of how he felt the weight of his suit caused his legs to become "shot" early on.
And despite this being the most important fight of his career, Wilder has insisted that he will wear another special outfit heading to the ring on October 9 at the T-Mobile Arena.
Speaking with media ahead of the bout, Wilder said that he plans on wowing fans with his outfit next month.
"All of my fights have, well, since I became champion, nobody has come out with a better dress, better uniform than I have," Wilder said.
"And we're going to continue with that. We'll just have to see what I put on. It's going to be something special."
Wilder's notorious suit before the second Fury fight was worn to pay tribute to Black History Month [February], a cause which he is passionate about.
And he has said that his outfit next month will be a similar tribute to "his people".
"It's going to be something that I dedicate to my people, my tribe," he added. "So you can look forward to seeing it."
Wilder made a number of outlandish claims about why he was brutally stopped by Fury, but perhaps the most baffling was his outfit excuse.
Can Deontay Wilder get his title back against Tyson Fury next month? Let us know in the comments section!
He told Yahoo Sports at the time that the uniform was "too heavy" and that he had "no legs" after wearing it on the way to the fight.
“He didn’t hurt me at all, but the simple fact is that my uniform was way too heavy for me,” Wilder said in the first of his many outlandish excuses.
“I didn’t have no legs from the beginning of the fight. In the third round, my legs were just shot all the way through.
"But I’m a warrior and people know that I’m a warrior. It could easily be told that I didn’t have legs or anything."
"A lot of people were telling me, ‘It looked like something was wrong with you.’
"Something was, but when you’re in the ring, you have to bluff a lot of things. I tried my best to do so. I knew I didn’t have the legs because of my uniform."
Wilder and Fury agreed to a trilogy regardless of the result of their second bout, but when the coronavirus pandemic stopped their planned July date last year from happening, it seemed that Fury may move on.
The Brit instead decided to pursue an undisputed title fight in Saudi Arabia with Anthony Joshua, who holds the other three belts in the division, with terms being agreed for an August 14 meeting.
However, Wilder had other plans and brought an arbitration case which ordered that Fury must fight him next, and it now appears that after one more cancellation over the summer that the fight is finally going to take place.
Source: Read Full Article