SA ready to host Grand Prix if required
South Australia has put its hand up to host the 2021 Grand Prix if Melbourne is unable to, Premier Steven Marshall said.
Mr Marshall said while the state would not poach the event, it was ready if Melbourne was ruled out because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“We don’t have the ability to put together a street circuit which would be suitable for Formula One, but Formula One requires a different type of circuit for what we have for Supercars in SA. The only option for Formula One to come to SA would be at The Bend,” he said.
Mr Marshall said the two-year-old track, located 100km southeast of Adelaide, was one of the best racing circuits in the world.
“There’s no doubt The Bend is world class,” he said.
“It’s state of the art, it uses the best technology, and I think we’re in a good position if the Melbourne Grand Prix doesn’t go ahead. If there is the requirement, SA stands ready.”
It was announced on Monday The Bend track owners, the Shahin family, were preparing to host two Supercars rounds on September 19-20 and 26-27.
Angus Mitchell, who started the Sports Car Drivers SA club, said hosting the Grand Prix at The Bend would be safer than on a street circuit.
The bend holds a Grade 2 FIA circuit licence — the second highest. FIA gradings are based on the suitability of the circuit for different types and groups of cars and range from one to six.
“That's what they intended to do when they built that track and that’s what they were aiming for,” Mr Mitchell said.
“Purpose-built circuits are better because there is more margin for error (on street circuits) and you can get better racing because the drivers will be pushing harder.
“I've raced at The Bend and it’s an impressive facility.
“The Melbourne Grand Prix is good but we can do things better in SA.”
The final Adelaide Grand Prix in November 1995.Source:News Corp Australia
Mr Mitchell, 37, said loving cars ran in the family with his 6-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son already showing interest.
He remembers going to the Adelaide Grand Prix with his father as a 12-year-old.
“There was a carnival-sort of atmosphere and a feeling of excitement with all the international people around,” he said.
“At the last GP in Adelaide, I was right in front of the pits when Damon Hill collided with a wall. It was pretty good.”
Between 1985 and 1995, Adelaide hosted the Grand Prix before it moved to Albert Park in Melbourne in 1996.
This year’s event at Albert Park was shut down following a positive test of coronavirus.
All preparations were finalised and teams had already travelled to Melbourne before pulling the plug.
The main straight at Albert Park after the 2020 Formula One Australian Grand Prix was cancelled in March. Picture: AAP Image/Scott BarbourSource:AAP
At the time, F1 issued a statement that read: “Following the confirmation that a member of the McLaren Racing Team has tested positive for COVID-19 and the team’s decision to withdraw from the Australian Grand Prix, the FIA and Formula One convened a meeting of the other nine team principals on Thursday evening.
“Those discussions concluded with a majority view of the teams that the race should not go ahead.
“Formula One and the FIA, with the full support of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC), have therefore taken the decision that all Formula One activity for the Australian Grand Prix are cancelled.
“The safety of all members of the Formula One family and the wider community as well as the fairness of the competition take priority.”
Formula 1 and the FIA, with the full support of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC), have taken the decision that all Formula 1 activity for the Australian Grand Prix is cancelled pic.twitter.com/rHbc7hlNvH
As Melbourne tackles its outbreaks, there still remains doubt over whether the stage 4 lockdown will end in two weeks despite daily infection numbers falling.
Mr Marshall has praised South Australians many times for their efforts in battling the health crisis.
There were no new infections reported on Monday, and there is only one active case in SA.
Mr Marshall said all options were being explored to bring events to the state.
“Of course it has to stack up from a commercial perspective,” he said.
“We don’t have buckets of cash lying around but to bring quality events to SA and promote economic activity is exactly what we’re looking at.”
Originally published asPremier reveals Grand Prix plans
Source: Read Full Article