Singapore GP cancelled for second year in a row due to Covid-19 restrictions, with alternative options on table
The Singapore Grand Prix will not take place for the second successive year, it is understood.
F1 have not officially announced the cancellation of the October 1-3 event and declined to comment directly about the night race, but Sky Sports understands that the event has been shelved for 2021 due to Covid-19 travel restrictions.
“We continue to work with all promoters during this fluid time and have plenty of options to adapt if needed,” said an F1 spokesperson.
- The 2021 F1 calendar as it stands
- What happened on the opening day at the Azerbaijan GP?
F1 are believed to have multiple options to replace the street event, including Turkey, China and a second race in the USA.
China was postponed from its original slot of April, while a race in Turkey was briefly added to replace Canada for this month before the Istanbul Park event was itself pulled from the schedule after it was placed on the Government’s red list.
A second race at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas is also a possibility. The US GP takes place there on October 24.
There are strict Covid-19 entry rules in Singapore, the city-state in which F1 had staged a night-race to spectacular effect since 2008 before the pandemic.
The sport continues to plan for a record 23-race schedule this year, with this weekend’s event in Azerbaijan the sixth event of the season so far.
Speaking to Sky Sports News in Baku, Red Bull boss Christian Horner said: “Singapore is a great track, it’s a great event, but we have to be flexible, we know that. If it is officially cancelled, then as with Turkey and Montreal there’s lots of options open to Formula 1.
“Stefano [Domenicali, F1’s president] and his team, they’ll be aware of that and they’ll have other options. Everybody is desperate to have Formula 1 in their country, so we’ll just have to wait and see.”
Source: Read Full Article