AC Milan's game with Juventus could be POSTPONED amid outbreak fears
AC Milan’s crunch Serie A title clash against Juventus could be POSTPONED as authorities threaten to block Andrea Pirlo’s side departing if they return more positive Covid tests amid outbreak fears
- AC Milan’s title showdown with Juventus on Wednesday night is in doubt
- Authorities could block Juve from travelling if they return more positive cases
- Juan Cuadrado and Alex Sandro were both confirmed as having the virus
AC Milan’s title showdown with Juventus on Wednesday is in serious doubt after fears of an outbreak in Andrea Pirlo’s squad as authorities warned they could be blocked from travelling.
Juventus had delayed their journey to the San Siro after Juan Cuadrado and Alex Sandro were confirmed to have the virus, with the club waiting on the results of further coronavirus tests.
Roberto Testi, medical chief at the ASL in Turin, admitted authorities could be forced to ‘intervene’ and halt their trip should the squad incur more positive tests.
Juventus could be blocked from travelling to AC Milan amid fears of a Covid outbreak
Juventus duo Juan Cuadrado and Alex Sandro have both tested positive for Covid-19
‘The company immediately warned of the two [positive tests], but at the moment, since all the others are negative, we cannot speak of an outbreak,’ he said, as reported by Gazzetta dello Sport.
‘If there were new cases and an uncontrolled outbreak was confirmed in the team, then the ASL, for the safety of the players themselves, would be forced to intervene by blocking the away match.’
Cuadradro and Sandro joined the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala in Juve stars who have previously contracted the virus. Midfielder Weston McKennie tested positive in October.
Authorities said they would be forced to intervene if Juventus return more positive tests
Milan currently lead Juventus by just a point at the top of the Serie A table – with the hosts in great form ahead of the clash, winning their last three games in a row.
Matteo Marnati, a councillor in Turin, stressed that the game would go ahead – claiming that Testi had been ‘misunderstood’.
‘Milan-Juventus will be played,’ he said. ‘I have just heard the general manager of the ASL of Turin and he replied that it was not no decision has been made.
‘Our interest is that the sports authorities manage the issue. There is no emergency that justifies an intervention by the ASL of Turin. I can assure the fans that the competition will take place. I believe that Testi has been misunderstood.’
Serie A leaders AC Milan had been in impressive form ahead of the pivotal title showdown
AC Milan had been dealt a blow ahead of the game after news that star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic would not be fit enough to return as he continues to recover from a muscle injury.
The towering Swede has not featured for the Rossoneri since November, when he netted twice in a 3-2 win over Napoli.
The enigmatic striker had uploaded a clip of him scoring in training, leading to optimism he could be fit to play, and his manager Stefano Pioli joked that he ‘scolded’ the veteran for it.
‘I scolded Ibra for that video because then you bombarded me with messages to find out if he had recovered,’ Pioli said.
‘He’s better, he’s working well, but he won’t be there tomorrow.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article