Man Utd to rival Jose Mourinho for transfer, Werner to Liverpool, Newcastle instruction

Saturday, May 9

  • Manchester United have joined Tottenham in the race to sign Paris Saint-Germain tight-back Thomas Meunier
  • Timo Werner continues to be linked with a switch to Liverpool
  • Newcastle could sign four or five players after their £300million takeover is completed

Man Utd to battle Tottenham for signing

Manchester United have joined Tottenham in the race to sign PSG star Thomas Meunier. The Belgium right-back is out of contract in the summer, meaning the 28-year-old will be a free transfer.

Reports in France last month claimed Spurs boss Jose Mourinho has personally phoned Meunier to convince him to head to north London.

However, according to French newspaper L’Equipe, United and Chelsea have now joined the race for Meunier.

The defender would provide competition for Aaron Wan-Bissaka at Old Trafford, while Meunier would be battling alongside Reece James at Chelsea.

JUST IN: Watford chairman slams Premier League’s Project Restart in scathing rant

As for Tottenham, Mourinho would likely make Meunier his first-choice right-back ahead of Serge Aurier.

Liverpool told to sign Timo Werner

Liverpool legend Steve Nicol believes the Reds should sign Timo Werner as the priority ahead of Kalidou Koulibaly.

He said to ESPN: “If I had a wishlist, I’d wish to have Koulibaly alongside Van Dijk. But if you are saying I can only have one choice, I’m going to go with Timo Werner.

“I think the front three need a lot more rotation than the backline.

READ MORE

  • Liverpool ready to offer Tanguy Ndombele surprise escape from

“The way Liverpool play, the way that front three presses when they play together, it is going to eventually catch up with them.

“They have been unbelievable for the last 18 months. But you cannot keep that up for six, seven years. You need a break.

“I think defensively Gomez has done enough to make [Jurgen] Klopp be comfortable. He is not Koulibaly, but he is not that far off.

“If it is a choice between the two, I’d going to edge it towards Timo Werner.”

READ MORE

  • Odion Ighalo hints at permanent Manchester United transfer

Newcastle urged to sign five

Michael Brown believes Newcastle could sign four or five players this summer after their £300million takeover is confirmed.

Brown told Football Insider: “My answer to if they need another midfielder is yes, they probably would, to take them on then yes, of course they would.

“Would they need another defender, another forward, another wide player? Yes, I think they needs players in all areas at Newcastle United. 

“I think they’ve done excellent in terms of the team ethic and setup that they’ve got but again it comes to personnel, availability, what style, what money, what system, what level are they going to buy?

“One player? They need four or five in this window.” 

Source: Read Full Article