Mourinho’s ultimate XI named – and Ronaldo has to take spot over Messi
We all think we know what a Jose Mourinho team looks like.
The Portuguese has developed a reputation as one of the game's finest coaches in the 21st century, taking his talents across Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Chelsea again, Manchester United and now Tottenham.
Things may not have worked out as he wanted them to at some of those clubs, but there's little doubt of his place in the modern football story and of his influence on plenty of great players.
But which players has Mourinho relied upon most often across his different managerial spells?
While we've been looking at various stars' most frequent teammates over the past few days, we're now going to examine the players the Portuguese picked most frequently.
- The XI is made up of players who made the most appearances alongside our featured player or for our featured manager. We're not looking for an overall 'Best' XI, and the player/manager himself isn't in it.
- For a player, the appearance numbers are based on the time they spent on the pitch at the same time as our main man, factoring in both club and international level.
- This isn't necessarily the eleven players who've spent the most time on the pitch with/for him, just the eleven that would fit into a working team.
- We're not going to come up with a Garth Crooksesque formation, but we might name subs if we feel like it.
- All minutes played and appearances stats are courtesy of transfermarkt.co.uk.
- Don't get angry in the comments section.
Here's Mourinho's ultimate XI.
Goalkeeper: Petr Cech
Appearances under Mourinho: 195
The Czech had already been signed by Chelsea when Mourinho arived in 2004, and he's go on to be a crucial last line of defence for him across both of his spells.
Right-back: Paulo Ferreira
Appearances under Mourinho: 206
A reliable right-back and clearly a player Mourinho admired, the Portuguese was brought to Chelsea by his compatriot and ended up staying there for nine years, picking up the Champions League in 2012.
Centre-back: Ricardo Carvalho
Appearances under Mourinho: 280
No player has played more matches under Mourinho's stewardship than the centre-back, who starred for his fellow Portuguese at Porto, Chelsea and Real Madrid.
Centre-back: John Terry
Appearances under Mourinho: 266
He was already at Stamford Bridge when Mourinho got there, but the manger could hardly have wished for a better rock to build things on than Terry, who was a loyal servant to his boss.
Appearances under Mourinho: 113
You have to go quite far down Mourinho's list to find a left-back, but Marcelo was a constant presence in his Real Madrid sides for three seasons, winning La Liga in 2012.
Defensive midfield: Nemanja Matic
Appearances under Mourinho: 159
A dominant midfield presence in Moutinho's Chelsea side that won the 2014/15 title, the Serbian also joined him at Manchester United.
Centre midfield: Xabi Alonso
Appearances under Mourinho: 151
Alonso had been a Real Madrid player for a year before Mourinho took over as his boss having joined from Liverpool in 2009, and he went on to play a starring role for each of his three seasons at the Bernabeu.
Centre midfield: Frank Lampard
Appearances under Mourinho: 215
One of Mourinho's most trusted players, Lampard's goals from midfield were crucial to the successes of Chelsea in the mid-2000s.
Attacking midfield: Mesut Ozil
Appearances under Mourinho: 157
Arguably Ozil's most consistent football came during his time under Mourinho at Real Madrid, when he was a regular in the side and a key factor in the 2011/12 La Liga win.
Source: Read Full Article