Nat Phillips details Klopp chats following failed transfer away from Liverpool
Nat Phillips has opened up on his conversations with Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp since his Anfield career was turned on its head.
Phillips, 23, was heavily linked with a transfer away from the Reds last summer, with Championship and Bundesliga clubs monitoring the Englishman after his loan spell with VfB Stuttgart.
But the centre-back was thrust into Liverpool's first-team squad in October after defensive stalwarts Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez suffered serious knee injuries.
Phillips impressed on his league debut, playing 90 minutes in the 2-1 win over West Ham, and also featured in the 1-1 draw at Brighton last month.
Currently a regular in the Reds' Premier League squads, Phillips is destined to play a major role as the champions bid to defend their title.
The player admitted his trajectory is now "completely different" to how it seemed over the summer in an interview with Liverpool's official website.
Quizzed on his contact with Klopp, Phillips said: "Nothing formal other than over the summer.
Get the latest news straight into your inbox!
It has been a hectic season so far – so make sure you don't miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won't miss out.
To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
"We obviously didn’t really know what was happening then, that was the last formal chat we had with regards to what my plan was and obviously the situation was completely different then.
"Since then, we’ve had the odd exchange of words. If it looks like I’m going to be playing at the weekend he’ll just ask me if I feel that I’m ready.
Should Nat Phillips start as Liverpool face Fulham on Sunday? Have your say here.
"And like I said before, he just tells me to enjoy myself and play my game like he knows that I can do."
While Phillips continues to be named in Klopp's squad for Premier League fixtures, uncertainty over his future last summer meant he was not named in the Reds' Champions League squad.
Not being involved in European games has given the former Bolton academy star the chance to do extra sessions at Liverpool's Kirkby training ground.
He added: “I’ve had time individually. When the boys have been playing in the Champions League I’ve been doing individual sessions where I do get the opportunity to work on things individually that I might not do during team sessions.
“But in terms of the manager and coaching staff, they’ve always just given the same instructions, which are to play my game and enjoy myself.”
Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.
Source: Read Full Article