Newcastle make new bid for Diego Carlos as third transfer targeted before Watford clash

Premier League wonderkids to look out for in 2022

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Newcastle have upped their opening offer for Sevilla centre-back Diego Carlos as they focus their efforts on securing the signing of a new defender, reports claim. The Magpies have already seen a bid in the region of £25million rejected for the Brazilian last week but the Newcastle hierarchy have now returned for the 28-year-old, who is widely regarded as one of the best central defenders in Europe.

The world’s richest club moved quickly to wrap up a deal for Burnley striker Chris Wood on Tuesday evening after trigger his release clause, understood to be worth between £20m and £25m.

Eddie Howe was determined to bring in another No 9 after being told Callum Wilson will miss around eight weeks of action with a calf problem.

Now Wood is through the door, Newcastle are intensifying their pursuit of defensive reinforcements and Carlos is one of the main targets on their shortlist.

According to The Telegraph, the Magpies have now increased their bid for Carlos, who is the man they hope to make their third January signing of the new era.

READ MORE: Taylor’s Tuesday Transfers: Tottenham hand teen trial, Newcastle could block Chelsea deal

It’s understood Sevilla are yet to respond to the offer as Newcastle wait for positive news.

After the embarrassing 1-0 FA Cup defat to Cambridge, Howe made it clear he wanted several new faces through the door in time for the crunch relegation clash with Watford this Saturday.

Newcastle do have a number of other plates spinning though with Monaco’s Benoit Badiashile also of interest.

In untimely fashion, the 20-year-old defender sustained a muscle injury in Sunday’s 0-0 draw at Nantes, which could impact Newcastle’s stance on signing the player.

DON’T MISS

Tottenham leader Harry Kane’s damning reaction to Tanguy Ndombele antics that riled fans
Taylor’s Tuesday Transfers: Tottenham hand teen trial, Newcastle could block Chelsea deal
Newcastle debutant Kieran Trippier ignored by team-mates after shameful Cambridge defeat

https://sports-life-news.com/soccer/newcastle-make-new-bid-for-diego-carlos-as-third-transfer-targeted-before-watford-clash/

St James’ Park chiefs saw two offers for Lille’s Sven Botman rejected and the French club have now made it clear the Dutchman is not for sale.

Speaking to local radio back in 2020, Carlos declared his respect for Sevilla and did not appear overly keen on transfer speculation.

He said: “In football we do not know what can happen. It is a complicated situation. I am very happy in Sevilla, with everyone.

“I do not know what can happen at the end of the market. I have spoken with my agents, I do not want speculation.

WATCH – EXPRESS SPORT’S RYAN TAYLOR BRINGS YOU THE LATEST TRANSFER NEWS

“I am working with Sevilla. My goal is with Sevilla. I have a contract and here I am. I want to have a spectacular year.”

A lot has changed since then but with Sevilla in with a shout of winning the La Liga title, Carlos could be faced with a big decision over his future.

The former Nantes defender is tied down to a long-term contract in Andalusia that does not expire until the summer of 2024.

Manchester City and Liverpool have previously been linked with Carlos but Newcastle are the first Premier League club to table a bid for his services.

Source: Read Full Article