Ousmane Dembele reveals Barcelona contract talks haven't started yet
Ousmane Dembele reveals Barcelona contract talks still haven’t started despite the attacker nearing the last year of his deal… but the Frenchman wants to stay at the Nou Camp
- Dembele has suffered an injury-hit spell during his time at the Spanish giants
- The 23-year-old has returned to full fitness and been in good form this season
- He is reportedly close to a three-year contract extension at the Catalonian club
Ousmane Dembele has revealed formal contract talks with Barcelona have not yet started, but reiterated his desire to stay at the club.
French forward Dembele signed a bumper five-year deal – which expires next summer – when he arrived from Borussia Dortmund for £97million in August 2017, making him the sixth-most expensive footballer of all time.
The 23-year-old suffered an injury-ravaged career at the Nou Camp, picking up a four-month hamstring injury on his full league debut and only managed nine appearances and one goal in all competitions after another serious hamstring tear.
Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele admitted he has not yet opened contract talks with the club
Dembele’s deal expires next summer but Barcelona are set to offer him a three-year extension
Dembele has since returned to full fitness, scoring 10 goals this campaign and nailing down a place in the side, and admitted how happy he is at the club – who are reportedly set to offer him a three-year extension.
He told beIN SPORTS: ‘My future? I still have a year of contract left. There hasn’t been a discussion with the club yet, I’m happy, and I feel good.
‘Then there is the new president who has arrived and whom I do not know too well, but he is very close to the players. We’ll see how it goes.’
The forward was hit by injuries last year but has won his place back under boss Ronald Koeman
‘I always kept a smile, even after an injury. I told myself this is life. There are trials in life, you have to overcome them. Healthy living is just people talking. The injuries aren’t because of that. You don’t stay at Barca for four years with a poor lifestyle.
‘I feel good since my return. Yes, it’s true that I stand up more to opponents. Clement [Lenglet] teases me by the way, telling me that I have to throw more punches!’
The 23-cap international played 81 minutes in the El Clasico against Real Madrid on Saturday, but saw his side lose 2-1 after Karim Benzema and Toni Kroos scored in the first half, with Oscar Mingueza scoring Barcelona’s only goal on the hour.
The 23-cap France international also discussed the new Barcelona president Joan Laporta
The result leaves the LaLiga table fascinatingly poised, with Los Blancos now top on 66 points, rivals Atletico Madrid in second on 66 points but with a game in hand, and Koeman’s outfit in third on 65.
Up next Barcelona face Athletic Club in the Copa del Rey final on Saturday before facing Getafe and Villarreal in the league the following week.
Ronald Koeman’s side entertain Atletico Madrid on May 9 in what could prove a crucial match in the bid for the Spanish domestic title.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article