Phil Neville will NOT take charge of England Women at Euros in 2022

BREAKING NEWS: Phil Neville will NOT take charge of England Women at rearranged home Euros in 2022 as FA confirms he will leave his post when his contract expires in summer of 2021

  • Reports emerged this week that Phil Neville would not be signing a new deal 
  • The FA has confirmed that England Women boss will leave his role next summer
  • He was due to be in charge for home Euros next year but that has been moved 
  • Women’s Euro 2021 was moved to July 2022 due to the impact of coronavirus
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

Phil Neville will not take charge of England Women at the rearranged home Euros in 2022 as the Football Association has confirmed he will leave his post when his contract expires next year.  

Reports emerged that the former Manchester United and Everton player would not sign a new deal with the Lionesses earlier this week.

Neville was due to be in charge for the home Euros next year but this will not be the case as the tournament was put back 12 months to 2022.

Phil Neville will leave his role as England Women’s manager in the summer of 2021

In a statement on Friday the FA’s director of women’s football, Sue Campbell said: ‘In light of the impact of current global events on the sporting calendar and in the best interests of the England Women’s team, both parties were in agreement that our shared priority was to ensure the Lionesses have continuity of coaching going into the home EURO and looking towards the 2023 FIFA World Cup.

‘Once football returns after this difficult period, Phil will continue his work with the Lionesses on the further development of his squad. 

‘I will support him fully with that important task whilst moving forward with the crucial succession planning process.

‘We will now discuss next steps with the British Olympic Association and the home nations with regard to Team GB Football and we are not in a position to make any further comment at this time.’

Women’s Euro 2021 has been moved to July 2022 to avoid a fixture clash after the postponement of the men’s Euro 2020 by 12 months due to coronavirus.

Neville said: ‘As a result of the changes to the proposed tournament scheduling we will now be working to plan for a revised match calendar once it is safe and appropriate to do so. 

‘I am looking forward to getting back to work with the team as soon as possible. We have a fantastic squad of players and there is plenty to work on as we look to progress as a team going into 2021.’

 

Source: Read Full Article