Premier League clubs told to recall players who left the country

Premier League clubs told to recall players who left the country in wake of coronavirus outbreak with group training expected to start in mid May

  • The Premier League has advised clubs to issue a recall to players abroad
  • Willian and Fernandinho among players who left the country last month 
  • Government is considering a 14-day quarantine period for all arrivals 
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

The Premier League has written to its clubs to tell them to consider recalling their players from abroad, with a view to returning to training next month.

In what may set off a race against time, top flight sides have been told that it may be in their interests to bring back those who left these shores following the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.

The message landed earlier on Tuesday, with clubs up and down the country now examining next steps.

Premier League has written to its clubs to tell them to consider recalling players from abroad 

On Monday, Sportsmail revealed that clubs had already warned their players that they must be ready to train at 48 hours’ notice amid the government considering plans to quarantine all arrivals to the UK for up to 14 days.

But, in what represents a significant development, the Premier League has now advised its members to consider issuing a recall.

A number of overseas players have been allowed to return home and the logistics of bringing them back if needed may be complex, with flights limited thanks to the pandemic. 

The travel departments of some would be tested more than others, and a possible scenario in which some stars cannot return may raise further questions over the integrity of the competition, should it restart.

Stars such as Willian have returned to their home countries during the coronavirus crisis

Fernandinho has returned to Brazil as well, and will face a two week quarantine upon return

In the same message, the Premier League repeated that the return to training is subject to an easing of lockdown restrictions and that no steps will be taken without it being safe to do so.

The move should not come as a surprise. As revealed by Sportsmail last month, the top flight sent a seven-point plan to club doctors and warned that players who leave the country that football will go on without them should they be unable to return.

Clubs were also told that players should be strongly advised not to go abroad, but many allowed them to do so to be with their families at a troubling time.




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article