Second man arrested in investigation into Benjamin Mendy rape allegations
A second man has been arrested as part of an inquiry into allegations of rape against footballer Benjamin Mendy.
Manchester City star Mendy, 27, was denied bail on Friday after he appeared in court charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
In a statement Cheshire Constabulary said: "We can confirm that we have arrested a second man, age 40, in connection to an ongoing investigation into sexual offences at an address in Cheshire.
"The man was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of rape and has been conditionally bailed pending further enquiries."
Mr Mendy appeared in court on Friday charged with four counts of rape at his home.
Three of the alleged attacks are said to have taken place on a date in October 2020, while the fourth alleged offence was said to have happened on a date this week.
The Frenchman arrived in a white police van, wearing black jogging bottoms and a red hoodie in the dock.
He is also charged with the sexual assault of a woman in January this year.
Man City's Benjamin Mendy charged with four counts of rape and one sexual assault
Premier League champions City suspended the player after the allegations came to light.
In a statement, the club said: "Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.
"The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete."
He has played for Manchester City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52 million.
A police spokesman said: "Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial."
Source: Read Full Article