Tottenham boss Antonio Conte confirms plan for new signings with brutal transfer dig

Antonio Conte on in-form Tottenham

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte has confirmed the club’s plan to make some changes in the January transfer window – insisting he had already made his mind up just seven days into the job. It’s been nearly two months since Conte was announced as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in north London.

His arrival sparked an immediate upturn in form with Tottenham now unbeaten in the seven Premier League games Conte has been in charge.

The Italian head coach has also managed to get Harry Kane firing on all cylinders again with the striker scoring in three consecutive league matches.

Their final game of 2021 though ended in a frustrating 1-1 draw against Southampton on Tuesday with Conte critical of his side’s performance.

Now attention turns to the January transfer window and whether Conte will be given the funds to make some signings.

JUST IN: Man Utd fifth and Chelsea top in European table of transfer fees

DON’T MISS

Roughly £60m was spent this past summer on new signings, although Bryan Gil has struggled to live up to his price-tag.

But Tottenham have a great chance of breaking back into the top four this season and Conte feels as though new signings will give him the best chance of doing so.

The former Chelsea boss admitted that he’d already made his mind up little over a week into the job.

When asked whether he feels Tottenham need new signings in January, Conte said: “For sure.

“After only two weeks I said we needed to improve the quality of this squad and for sure we need to.

“I was sure after seven to 10 days about this and then I had to make the evaluation over who I can count on and who I can’t.

“The gap is very large and we need to work a lot and try to build and improve our squad.”

Conte was then asked whether his player evaluation had been complete, to which he replied: “Yes I think so.

“Not I think, I’m sure 100 per cent.

“I made the evaluation after two months of work with my players.

“For sure now the situation is more clear than before.

“I am waiting to have a meeting with the club and then also to give my opinion about the squad and what I think about our situation. For sure I am waiting for a meeting.”

Source: Read Full Article