Tottenham star Son Heung-min tipped to quit Spurs as contract delay explained

Tottenham: Mourinho denies team are in crisis

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

Tottenham forward Son Heung-min may be in no rush to commit his future to the club as he assesses other potential opportunities, reckons former England right-back Danny Mills. Son has been in exhilarating form for Tottenham for the majority of this season. The South Korean is the club’s leading scorer in all competitions with 17 goals to his name.

Reports in recent months have claimed Spurs are keen to tie Son down to a new contract, with his current deal expiring in the summer of 2023.

However, he is yet to put pen to paper which could potentially spark Europe’s top clubs into a bidding war for the 28-year-old.

Mills says Tottenham must do all they can to ensure Son stays but believes it may be beyond their control, as the forward could be eyeing up moves elsewhere already.

“If Tottenham are struggling because of covid then everybody else is going to be struggling,” Mills told Football Insider.

JUST IN: Man Utd set timeline on Eric Bailly transfer as Solskjaer eyes two players

“I know the stadium was going to be used for other events and that was going to be a huge source of revenue for them but that will come back. That’s not going to be a massive issue.

“Where does Son go? He’ll have to go to a top club and they’re going to have to pay top dollar and do they have the money?

“If I was Tottenham I’d be trying to tie him down immediately because I think he’s a fantastic player, he’s exceptional.

“His work rate, his levels of consistency. He seems like the type of person that everybody would want. If I was Tottenham I’d get him signed up sooner rather than later.

DON’T MISS
Chelsea boss Tuchel makes Hudson-Odoi transfer decision after Southampton [REPORT]
Chelsea chief Granovskaia makes £172m transfer promise to Thomas Tuchel [RUMOUR]
Jose Mourinho may have managed final Tottenham game after West Ham defeat [COMMENT]

“Maybe it’s him that’s being patient. Maybe he’s had a look at it and thought ‘You know what, I’ll get some offers and there’s plenty of time, no rush. I’ll just wait and see what happens.’”

Speaking earlier this week, Son gave an explanation as to why there has been a delay to the renewal of his contract.

“It’s a bit unfair to talk about a new contract at the moment,” he said.

“I am focused on the games and my team and that is the most important thing at the moment.”

Meanwhile, Tottenham have now lost five of their last six Premier League matches following Sunday’s 2-1 defeat at West Ham.

But manager Jose Mourinho refused to use tiredness from Thursday’s Europa League match against Wolfsberger as an excuse.

“Thursday was not in the legs because we started with only one player that played 90 minutes which was Eric Dier,” Mourinho said.

“Lucas Moura played 65 minutes on Thursday and was the best player for our team.

“Nothing to do with that. The way we finished the game showed it was not a physical problem that stopped us having a result.”

Source: Read Full Article