Former Zimbabwe captain Brendan Taylor banned for three-and-a-half years by ICC

Ex-Zimbabwe skipper Brendan Taylor has been hit with a three-and-a-half year ban from cricket by the ICC after he accepted breaching the governing body's anti-corruption and anti-doping codes.

Taylor, 35, who made more than 200 appearances for Zimbabwe and also represented Nottinghamshire, released a statement earlier this week where he admitted taking cocaine and claimed he was approached for spot fixing.

Taylor stated he was approached in 2019 by an Indian businessman and was paid $15,000 as "a 'deposit' for spot fixing".

The batter said he had been filmed taking cocaine and was threatened that "the video would be released to the public" if he did not spot fix.

Taylor stressed that he did not carry out any spot fixing and stated he has "never been involved in any form of match-fixing".

He ultimately reported the approach to the ICC four months after it occurred and he has now been banned from all cricket.

In a statement, the ICC said Taylor had "accepted breaching four charges of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code and, separately, one charge of the ICC Anti-Doping Code".

Taylor admitted failing to report "the receipt of any gift, payment, hospitality or other benefit" which he "knew or should have known was given to them to procure a breach of the Code", failing to report "receipt of gifts/hospitality with a value of US$750 or more", failing to report "full details of the approach received to engage in corrupt conduct under the Code including in relation to Zimbabwe’s then upcoming series against Sri Lanka and/or Bangladesh" and "obstructing or delaying an ACU investigation".

Separate and independent to the anti-corruption charges, Taylor also tested positive for Benzoylecognine, a cocaine metabolite, after an in-competition drugs test following Zimbabwe's ODI clash with Ireland on September 8 2021.

Taylor has accepted a one-month period of ineligibility for the anti-doping breach, the minimum allowed under the code. It was reduced to one month as he was able to establish the substance was taken out of competition, that it was unrelated to sport performance, and because he is currently in rehab.

He will be able to resume his involvement in cricket on July 28 2025.

Alex Marshall, head of the ICC's anti-corruption unit, said: "Brendan is a former international captain who represented Zimbabwe for 17 years.

"Over such a long career, he participated in numerous anti-corruption and anti-doping education sessions and knew exactly what his obligations were under the ICC Anti-Corruption and Anti-Doping Codes.

"It is disappointing that a player of his experience chose not to fulfil those obligations, however he has accepted all charges, which has been reflected in the sanction.

"I would echo Brendan’s message to other players to report approaches as soon as they happen so any corrupt activity can be disrupted at the earliest possible opportunity. We wish Brendan well in his rehabilitation."

https://stopsmokingway.com/soccer/wout-weghorst-misses-wolfsburg-training-as-burnley-face-mislav-orsic-transfer-hurdle/

Read More

Read More

Source: Read Full Article