Concerning photos emerge of Novak Djokovic at wild party
Social distancing wasn’t a concern for tennis star Novak Djokovic as he partied with hundreds of fans in Belgrade after beating a long-time record held by Roger Federer.
Fresh from winning the Australian Open last month, Djokovic partied on the streets in the Serbian capital as he became the sole-holder for the most weeks spent as men’s world No. 1.
The 33-year-old has been top of the ATP men’s singles rankings for a combined 311 weeks in five different stints, surpassing previous holder Federer.
To celebrate, hundreds of fans lined the streets of Belgrade as supporters chanted “Nole, Nole”.
But they did so without any social distancing taking place despite the coronavirus pandemic. COVID-19 infections are increasing in Serbia with 3828 new infections reported on average each day — 53 per cent of the peak, which is the highest daily average reported since December, according to Reuters.
The country was in a “circuit-breaker” lockdown over the weekend as a result of the latest figures. Only pharmacies, food stores and gas stations were open as medical experts called for a strict lockdown to try and ease the burden on the country’s healthcare system.
There are still rules in place on social distancing, with indoor and outdoor gatherings limited to five people.
Despite that, Djokovic and his family watched on as fireworks took place in front of a mass crowd at their restaurant in Belgrade.
Addressing the crowd, the tennis star said: “Today is a special day for myself, my family as well as Serbia.
“Thank you for the success which is not only mine but of the whole nation.”
The man can draw a crowd. (Photo by Pedja Milosavljevic/SIPA/Shutterstock).Source:Shutterstock
Djokovic is adored is his home country. (Photo by Pedja Milosavljevic/AFP).Source:AFP
Djokovic’s family, including his mum Dijana, were on hand to celebrate. (Photo by Pedja Milosavljevic/AFP).Source:AFP
This is the latest in a string of high-profile incidents involving Djokovic during the global crisis. Last year he held the controversial Adria Tour, which took place without social distancing in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia at the height of the pandemic.
Videos later surfaced of Djokovic and other players partying in nightclubs, with their tops off.
After the tour, where Djokovic, his wife and three other players tested positive for the virus, he issued an apology.
“I am so deeply sorry our tournament has caused harm,” he said at the time.
“Everything the organisers and I did the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions.
“We believed that the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good condition to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons.
“We were wrong and it was too soon. I can’t express how sorry I am for this and every case of infection.”
Djokovic threw out goodies to the crowd. (Photo by Pedja Milosavljevic/AFP).Source:AFP
Serbia is a long way from beating COVID-19. (Photo by Pedja Milosavljevic/SIPA/Shutterstock).Source:Shutterstock
Djokovic was criticised by Brit Andy Murray and Aussie tennis star Nick Kyrgios for holding the tournament.
Two months prior in April, Djokovic also revealed on Facebook Live that he is against compulsory vaccinations.
He said: “Personally I am opposed to vaccination and I wouldn’t want to be forced by someone to take a vaccine in order to be able to travel.
“But if it becomes compulsory, what will happen? I will have to make a decision.
“I have my own thoughts about the matter and whether those thoughts will change at some point, I don’t know.
“Hypothetically, if the season was to resume in July, August or September, though unlikely, I understand that a vaccine will become a requirement straight after we are out of strict quarantine and there is no vaccine yet.”
Djokovic is set to be in action next at the Miami Masters on March 22, while Federer returns after 14 months out this week in Qatar.
This article first appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission
Source: Read Full Article