Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since World War II
The world famous Wimbledon tennis tournament has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
This year’s championships was due to begin on June 29, but will now take place next year, organisers said in a statement on Thursday.
“This is a decision that we have not taken lightly, and we have done so with the highest regard for public health and the wellbeing of all those who come together to make Wimbledon happen,” Ian Hewitt, the chairman of the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club (AELTC) said.
“It has weighed heavily on our minds that the staging of The Championships has only been interrupted previously by World Wars but, following thorough and extensive consideration of all scenarios, we believe that it is a measure of this global crisis that it is ultimately the right decision to cancel this year’s Championships, and instead concentrate on how we can use the breadth of Wimbledon’s resources to help those in our local communities and beyond.
“Our thoughts are with all those who have been and continue to be affected by these unprecedented times.”
The 134th tournament will be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021.
More to come.
Source: Read Full Article